Re: [OM] Red Eyes

Subject: Re: [OM] Red Eyes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:16:04 +0000
At 14:58 5/31/99 , Ángel Lobo wrote:
>I´ve never obtain "red eyes" on a photograph with my OM gear.
>Usually, I shot portraits with fixed focal lenses, T 32 or T45 and OM 4.
>But last week I have abundant red eyes with Om 4 + T 32 (on the body)+
>35-105 + FujiReala.
>
>I don´t remember if I try in the past this zoom for portraits.
>
>Can somebody tell me if this OM zoom 35-105 and the "red eyes" travel
>together usually ?
>
>Ángel Lobo
>CUENCA (Spain)
>
>angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx

Hola Angel,

I have the exact same combination . . . OM-4, T-32 and sometimes use the
Zuiko 35-105 f/3.5~4.5 for indoor flash work.  It allows zooming out to
capture a number of people in a small room and zooming in to get candid
portraits without changing lenses.  Don't use it that much outdoors any more.

I do not have much problem with red-eye in people using this combination.
I have found, though, that pets (dogs and cats) are the worst and take them
available light.  Next worst are children.  They have a tendency to look
straight at the camera.  I try to capture people *not* looking straight at
the camera when using a flash.

Another red-eye reduction scheme is flash diffusion.  The T-32 does have a
tilt feature and if the ceiling is low enough (and light enough) you can
try a slight tilt upwards to diffuse some of the light by reflecting it
from the ceiling.  Since the T-32 has quite a bit of output, this should
work using wider apertures and closer distances provided the ceilings are
not tall and/or dark.  If you are concerned about getting enough diffused
light reflected back using the tilt feature, you can try diffusing the
light some by covering the front of the flash with a single layer of
*clean* white handkerchief (the pauper's flash diffuser).  I carry a
*clean* one in the camera bag and use a rubber band to hold it around the
flash unit and keep it stretched taut over the lens on the flash.  A
handkerchief is generally thin enough to let most of the light through and
still diffuse it.

[Note:  If you are using a standard auto-flash and sensor on the flash
instead of dedicated TTL/OTF, such as an OM-10 with T-20 or T-32
combination, do *not* allow the cloth to cover the flash sensor.]

If a single layer is not enough you can try a double layer.  I've been
reluctant to use two, and especially more layers, because increasing the
layers (and diffusion) reflects more light back into the flash.  This could
cause excessive heat problems in the flash unit, especially if you take a
lot of photographs in rapid succession.  Regardless of how many layers you
use, do not let the flash unit get too hot.

-- John