Re: [OM] 200/4

Subject: Re: [OM] 200/4
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 03:27:08 EDT
Tom  writes:

<<  I'm surprised that no one is selling a tripod head which incorporates
 dampers yet. I suppose that the more mass attached to the camera, the
 better, tho. How about:
  - a heavy flat plate between the head & camera?  Or attached to the
 camera if the lens is on the tripod?
  - a carbon fibre (it damps) or lead alloy Quick Release (QR) plate?
  - a big QR head with a slight concave shape that holds closely to the
 entire base of the camera? especially for the Manfrotto/Bogen 200PL-14
 3157N  QUICK RELEASE PLATE RECTANGULAR 1/4  that I use! >>

Tom,
        years ago we used to use custom cast cement panels for loudspeaker
enclosures. The internal  damping of cement far exceeds that of almost all
common materials. Thus for good camera damping all we need to do is carry a
couple of large cement blocks with tripod screws attached in the eveready
camera bag. These are also much cheaper than carbon fibre tripods and can be
obtained from your local hardware store. Of course you may need to reinforce
the camera bag   ( ;-}

Regards,
Tim Hughes
HI100@xxxxxxx