[OM] Will this work?

Subject: [OM] Will this work?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:09:58 -0700
From: "Matt Haber" <solstice@xxxxxxx>

I'd like to run a two camera setup for an upcoming shoot, and had an
idea about how to do it, but now i'm wondering if it will work at
all.

It's a studio shoot, so I'll be running strobes...

First, make sure your film is slow enough (or you are stopped down enough) so one camera can be set significantly slower than 1/60th without getting fogged. I'd think a film/aperture that would work for 1 second would be okay.

You can slave two Winders or motor drives by isolating them with diodes. Tie the ring terminal together, then tie a single switch to two diodes, each "pointing at" one of the tip terminals.

Set the non-flash camera to 1/30th or so, at the same aperture as the camera controlling the flash.

Now both shutters should open within milliseconds of each other, and the slave camera should receive the same exposure value as the master camera.

It may well be that one camera is a bit slower than the other -- it would be good to find that out ahead of time. The flash fires when the first curtain is fully open -- if this happens before the slave camera is fully open, there may be an unexposed strip on the right edge of each frame. You may be able to check this by looking the shutter of the slave with the back open and a shroud over you. (The client will be impressed... :-)

If one camera is slower, simply swap them, firing the flash from the slower camera.

Also, a simple electronic circuit (monostable multivibrator) could be cobbled together for a few bucks that would delay the master camera for perhaps 9mS, therefore ensuring the slave shutter will be open when the flash fires.

Caveat: I have not actually tried this, but I think it has a better chance of working than what you proposed.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229