RE: [OM] Twinning OM bodies for stereo: Any experiences?

Subject: RE: [OM] Twinning OM bodies for stereo: Any experiences?
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:04:45 +0200
Hi,

> I'm investigating building a "twin rig" (two, synchronized
> camera bodies joined together) for stereo and I'm curious if OM
> bodies would lend themselves to this purpose.

I would think so.

> I have just about no electrical engineering aptitude, so please
> don't reply with highly esoteric discussions about splicing into
> circuit boards.

Alright, I won't go down that path then ;) Besides, this is often to
cumbersome and should only be done if the cameras need to be _exactly_
synchronized, and even then there's no so thing as two events (i.e.
triggering the shutter) at _exactly_ the same time, but that's a different
matter ;). Sooooooooo, a nice and simple mechanical solution is desired...

> I'm fairly sure that twinning works best if done electronically (on
> cameras with electronic shutters), so suggestions regarding manual
> OM bodies would be less helpful.

In your case it really depends on what you want. If you can relax the timing
constraint on the synchronisation a bit so that it doesn't come down to
miliseconds, you can find some very easy and cheap solutions. In case you
don't have too much distance between the two cameras, and you can relax the
timing I would suggest to keep it simple, in fact keep it dead easy. Mount
the two cameras on the rig, buy a twin cable release --- yes a $10 twin
cable release --- meter the light with your 4T, enforce the measured values
in Manual mode in both cameras (same lens, aperture and shutter speed
settings of course), and trigger the whole lot with the twin cable release.

Nothing fancy, and of course it has some limitations as to the distance the
cameras can be apart, as well as to the actual synchronization, but unless
your subject is moving at high speed that shouldn't matter too much. A
simple and cheap solution, without any need to mess around with electronics.

> I presently have a 4T, although I'm quite prepared to exclude
> it from this project 'cause I know it's circuitry is extremely
> complex.

???????????????
Why would you want to do that? The 4T is about _the_ best light meter one
can think of, and I think it would be very well suited for your purposes.
Maybe if you can't relax the timing constraint you might want to consider
using two identical cameras, to exclude any potential differences in speeds
of the two shutter mechanisms, but otherwise I would say: include the 4T!
:)))

> Thanks for your time!

Ye're most welcome, and I hope this "quick and dirty" is sufficient for your
puposes...

Cheers!
Olafo