Re: [OM] To spot or not

Subject: Re: [OM] To spot or not
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 09:26:36 -0400
I have been using my OM-2n recently for print film, while my OM-4 has slide
film in it.  I've been missing the advanced metering functions of the OM-4
so much that I've decided to get an OM-4t so that I can have two OM-4(t)
bodies with me.

Why?

1. I find myself constantly wanting to take portraits, often side or
backlit.  The CW metering gets confused in these situations.  A quick spot
reading off the face of my subject and a flick of the memory-store lever
lets me shoot with changing conditions without worrying about subject
movement.

2. I also like the ability to look at the average part of a scene, store
that into memory, and then shoot like I was on manual, without having to
switch to manual, meter the scene, and then begin to shoot.  It's MUCH
quicker, and the memory can be cancelled at a moments notice.

3. On scenes that I want more shadow detail, I just hit the textured shadow
with a spot, hit the Shadow button to move the reading down to Zone 3 or
so, store it into memory, and then proceed to shoot.

All this said, I don't use the spot metering or memory more than 250f the
time, but when I need it; it's there.  Of course the substitute is manual,
which works fine.

Maybe my black and white training has me thinking too Zone System here, but
it seems to serve me well, and the metering system of the OM-4(t) fits
right in with my style.

Skip