Re: [OM] OT: Camera Direct Spam

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Camera Direct Spam
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:14:46 +0000
At 21:00 8/31/99 , Giles wrote:
>Here's the feedback I sent:
[Giles' feedback snipped off]

Giles' feedback is the type that works!  Love the RBL threat; it is a
Rogue's Gallery of Internet's Death Row.  Cameradirect.com is *not* an ISP,
but is "hosted" by one.  They "rent" site space for WWW pages and SMTP mail
on their ISP's servers:  dogsaver.com.

Some information you need to know if contemplating sending your own
complaint(s) to HotMail.com, ListBot.com or Dogsaver.com:

1.  I tracked down the appropriate addresses to gripe to at the ISP,
dogsaver.com, very very late last night (aka dog.com):
  to:  Jim McNelis <jim@xxxxxxx>
  cc:  randall@xxxxxxx

2.  I received a very prompt reply from dogsaver.com (Jim McNelis) this
morning.  Cameradirect.com has "plausible deniability" about knowing *how*
the ListBot.com mail list it was using was generated; they supposedly hired
someone to do marketing for their web site.  Jim stated they have been
issued a warning since he found their story credible.  Jim also asked if
any unsolicited and unwanted email advertising were received from
cameradirect in the future to forward a copy of the message (include
complete headers) directly to him (Jim McNelis) and the "cc" at the above
email addresses.

3.  I was informed by MSN's HotMail.com late last night that Cameradirect's
return/reply email "dropbox" there was summarily terminated for violation
of MSN's "Terms of Service" agreement regarding use of the HotMail service.
 This means if you send anything to Cameradirect@xxxxxxxxxxx it *might*
bounce back as undeliverable (it also might just go into the big bitbucket).

4.  Have not heard back yet from ListBot.com but expect to (also part of
MSN but separately managed).  MSN usually replies to complaints with
compelling evidence of abuse.

The next posting will have some Oly related content!
-- John