Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and

Subject: Re: Apologies in advance: Re: [OT] SUVs, peace (was: [OM] New OM-1N and battery problem)
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:49:41 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Barry B. Bean wrote:

:On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:05:01, Dirk Wright wrote:
:<snip>
:>for thier skill level, then they are a danger to others on the road. That's
:>the main thing that I & others hate about suv's. It's not the vehicles,
:>it's the lack of skill of the drivers.
:
:I don't believe that. There are plenty of bad drivers around, and
:there's no correlation with size. What about the teenagers and
:college students in their mini-cars who zip in front of me? Should I
:assume this is because of their vehicles, or the lack of experience
:and adolescent judgement?

It's all in the false sense of safety the behemoth vehicles have (wrongly
so; they MAY fare better in a crash IF they are built to car safety
standards, which they are not as they are truck based and thus exempt),
but sedans/wagons etc are MORE nimble, and thus are actively able to AVOID
an accident instead of faring better IN one (IF the SUV had the same safe
build of sedans in terms of body type (unit, ladder, etc).

I speak for California, and any other urban area: most attracted to SUVS
are the types that least need them, and can least handle them (on top
of yapping on the cellfone while driving, or reading, all of which I have
seen people do DAILY). SUVs by themselves are not bad, it's the attraction
they have for the incompetant drivers that is my peeve. I can go on, but I
won't for now.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"Nothing left to win / And nothing else to lose."               --U2