Re: [OM] Creative Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Creative Filters
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:17:48 +0100
At 18:30 29/09/99 +0100, Keith (R.K.) Berry wrote:
>>Where should I start? What is the difference between the Cokin Filter
>>systems (is "A" series and "??" series).  Any suggestions?

>The P series is larger than A filters, but once you've ruined your picture
>with a silly filter you can't easily get it back to 'normal.' I'd suggest
>you divert the cash to Paint Shop Pro and Filters Unlimited

Or alternatively take two shots, one with the filter and one without!  I
have used the Cokin grey grads and not found any significant colour shifts
with them, though others have reported slight green and magenta casts.
Maybe mine are at the middle of the tolerance range.  Anyway, while Keith's
point is well taken, there are situations where only a grad at the taking
stage will rescue for example a burned out sky.  And if your desired end
result is a colour slide Paint Shop ain't going to help you much unless you
have access to a film writer... !

The difference between Cokin A and P systems is size (and cost), the P
series being bigger, but for Olympus uses the A is perfectly adequate as it
fits a filter size up to about 67mm.  They are prone to scratching, but
they're cheap enough to replace if necessary.  However, I'm not sure that
putting a fiver's worth of "optical resin" (read "plastic") in front of a
couple of hundred pounds' worth of Zuiko is necessarily a good idea!

Cheers
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England