Re: [OM] ... graduated fliters...

Subject: Re: [OM] ... graduated fliters...
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 12:22:24 +0100

>>  How do U meter with a graduatde filter fitted on. ? Read somewhere that
>>  are supposed to meter the landscape, then recompose and shoot. Is this
>>  correct ?
Makes sense to me. The whole point of a graduated filter is to prevent the
sky 'bleaching out' so if you apply any compensation to the exposure for the
unfiltered scene you're defeating its purpose. I'd suggest taking a meter
reading without the filter and then with it in place, setting the
compensation dial to bring the EV back to the original one. Providing you
don't slide the filter down to affect the non-sky area (or up for a
reflection), that should be your standard filter factor. Hope that's
comprehensible.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx