Re: [OM] Millenium Flying Fantasy

Subject: Re: [OM] Millenium Flying Fantasy
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 15:38:36 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: W. J. Liles <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 1999 6:07 PM

> > Single engine? It had better be a powerful one to take us all aloft....
> > I'd prefer the 'Corde, so you can Y2k for longerby flying with the
> > rotation <G>
> >
> > /Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
>

> What you need is an Antonov AN-1.  This is a giant, single engine
> biplane from the Soviet Union that can carry 20.  It's a lot like an
> OM1; all manual, no longer made, it oozes character, and it can function
> just fine without a battery.
>
> Jerry Liles

Actually I think you're referring to the Antonov AN-2 Colt. According to
this info page on Antonov construction bureau
 http://www.bird.ch/Russians/Bureaus/An.html ) there was only one Antonov
biplane, the AN-2. You may be right that it is no longer made (don't know
for sure), but it sure was made until recently in Poland.

Other sites with lots of AN-2 images are:

http://aviation.pol.pl/photo/type/an2.htm (unofficial Polish Aviation site)

http://www.boschaero.com/an-2.htm  (Bosch Aerospace AN-2 Research Aircraft
web page incl. several interior shots)

This is indeed an impressive aircraft. Much larger than can be imagined from
photos. It has a huge propeller. Stood right behind one at a Sw air show
once, and I can tell you it was impossible to stand upright in the gale when
the pilot hit the throttle!

Obligatory OM content: I may still have a few dias of that plane taken with
my OM-2SP and my 28-48/4 zoom. Now where did I put them....

Per Nordenberg
Kolmården, Sweden

--
"Everybody has a photographic memory - some just forget to load film"