Re: [OM] LONG - Film Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] LONG - Film Scanners
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:08:28 -0700
Tim;

Fantastic. Best explanation of the process I've seen.

Analogy of course is audio CD players. When they first arrived if I
recall they were '2X' which meant either they sampled at the Nyquist
limit or double it, not positive which. They didn't sound all that good.
Within a year or 2, they were 8X or 16X, ie 4 and 8 times more sampling.
They sound good.

George

HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear OMer's,
>                     Here are some comments on the ongoing pixel debate.
>
> chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << 100 lines per millimetre is 200 pixels per millimetre.
>  200px times 25.4mm is 5080 ppi.
>  cjb. >>
>
> In this and previous threads on the number of pixels required to resolve a
> given number of lines per mm, a ** theoretic** number of 2 pixels per line
>  is being used. In signal processing this theoretical limit is often termed
> the Nyquist limit. That is, to sample and be able to reconstruct a sine
> wave you need at least two samples per cycle. In reality you need more
> samples unless you want to introduce artifacts.

SNIP