Re: [OM] And the Winner is...

Subject: Re: [OM] And the Winner is...
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:18:48 -0400
Hi Ken,

I always enjoy reading your wit and insight. Thanks for sharing.
Although I hadn't used a camera for nearly 10 years, the OM-4t was so
intuitive when I first picked it up last year, there was very little
learning curve, except in the area of flash. One of the things I have
really come to appreciate in the OM system is the dynamic range, both
in the metering system and in the lenses. I was just reading in the "OM
System Lens Handbook" that the f2 series of lenses incorporate a close
focus correction. Something that is not always mentioned. Sometimes,
with the 50macro or the 90macro, it feels more like I have a zoom lens
in my hands. Most of my picture taking is handheld, I imagine I would
need a very solid tripod to really get close to the lens quality of
most Zuikos. I have used a Contax G2 system, which I think has very
nice glass, but as a system, I am always fighting with it. Particularly
with close up work and exposure control. Many cameras have nice
features, but are often very hard to operate when not using the
auto-everything. Whereas the OM-4t seems to have placed all the
important features for me right at my finger tips. Since I am not a
professional photographer, most of the fun for me is the actual process
of taking pictures, while the work is learning how to see. Every now
and then I am not even sure who is pushing the shutter release, but I
get some very interesting shots. If there was another system out there
that worked the way I wanted, I would go for it. So far, I haven't
found it.

Wayne
Hopkinton, MA