Re: Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)

Subject: Re: Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)
From: George A <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 12:59:10 -0800
Dave;

Dave Bulger wrote:

> I concur. Kodak photo CDs are great quality, and the process doesn't crease
> my 6x6 and 6x7 trannies the way folding them into the ES-10 does.  <g>
>
> Here's a complication -- trannies I print on Ilfochrome almost require
> contrast masking to print with any sort of manageable contrast range
> (thanks George!).  Should I leave the mask on for scanning, with the idea
> that it will perform the same function for the scanner that it does for the
> Ilfochrome?

Interesting idea. Would reduce the total dynamic range of the slide that
the scanner sees.  Might get more shadow detail that way. I'm just
speculating.  You'd have to have perfect mask alignment.  And you'd
probably have to pump up the contrast once you scanned it.  Might be
worth a try.

> My local Ilfo lab is getting away from contrast masking because Kodak has
> allegedly stopped making the CM film and there's no viable substitute.

Yes, Kodak discontinued their Pan Masking film a couple of years ago.
But there are plenty of substitutes. Like TMAX 100 or Ilford FP4.  I use
both and I just use 1 additional diffusion sheet. Works fine.

>  They're moving to digital and have produced some wonderful
> 35mm-enlarged-to-7cm-so-I-can-print-them-in-my-6x7-enlarger transparencies
> from me.  The lab tech claims he scans 'em in to photoshop, reduces
> contrast, and output them to the 7cm tranny for me.  I don't know how this
> works without upping contrast and losing detail, but it does.

Can do wonders with photoshop.  I was not aware they were able to get
real quality film output.  A frien tried this about 2 yrs ago with a 4x5
and the digi output film was inferior to the analog 4x5 input film even
after much personal attention by the lab. He gave up.  2 years is a long
time in the did world though.

George