[OM] [OT] EIDE... oops

Subject: [OM] [OT] EIDE... oops
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 15:08:06 -0500
Earlier, I said:
"The thing that actually differentiates IDE from EIDE is that IDE can
only control hard drives up to 528MB.  EIDE goes up to 8.4GB."

I realized later that, although EIDE and drives larger than 528MB tend
to be associated in time there is not a cause and effect relationship.
Support for large drives is really a function of the system BIOS
supporting LBA (Logical Block Addressing).

Anyhow, the message I really wanted to deliver was that a 200MHz Pentium
is a relatively modern system and not to worry about the IDE/EIDE
differences.  This is especially true of the CD-ROM which, although
attached to an IDE/EIDE interface, really follows the beat of a
different drummer than that of a hard drive.

For anybody who would like to pursue this in excruciating detail see:
http://thef-nym.sci.kun.nl/cgi-pieterh/atazip/atafq.html

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA