Re: [OM] ADITL3 submissions, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] ADITL3 submissions, etc.
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:05:29 +0000
At 13:27 1/13/00 , Dirk Wright wrote:
>I just noticed something strange about these ADITL's. They all fall on
>pagan holidays. Hmmm, is there an undercurrent of paganism in the OM
>world? <g>

There was (as with any decision by huge committee) some debate on when to
have the first.  The problem was no matter which "date" George chose to
center it around, it would impinge on someone.  As it was getting close to
the solstice, someone suggested the solstice.  Got George off the hook as
it was pegged to an astronomical event (Divine Providence or Intervention
??) instead of simply picking a day someone on the list could get
blamed/flamed for.

Your reason (embellished some) is better than the real one:
Druid priests were consulted for a time window that would be optimal for
worldwide photography.  After reading tomes of ancient incantations and
counsulting their bags of dried chicken bones, they picked the solstice and
equinox dates.  What weighed in heavily on this was the December Solstice
(1999) which coincided with a Full Moon, Earth at Perihelion about the Sun,
and Moon at Perigee about the Earth.  All these simultaneous events would
optimize conditions for outstanding photography.  This should be preceded a
week before by sacrificing a roll of your favorite film to [name of your
most despised film processor] for processing. The two previous galleries
are evidence of this.

This is the one that should live on as legend in the anals of the Oly
Mailing List.  It's our story and we're sticking to it.

-- John