Re: [OM] OM-2000 focusing accuracy

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000 focusing accuracy
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:04:08 EST
>Maybe today, but in 3 year's of usage? I doubt it.  Less expensive
cameras
>don't hold accurate focus as well as pro cameras.  Whether this is an
>issue for the OM-2000 or not, I can't say.  I guess we'll know in a
few
>years.
>
>Joseph

Yeah, but based on the way that OM bodies are built, I wouldn't expect
accuracy either. The lensmount is held on to the body with 3 screws.
The mount does not seat directly on the diecast body, but on some other
part that is also screwed to the body. Every time you have a mounting
interface, you introduce errors into the parallelism of the mount to
the film plane. The absolute best way to design a lensmount would be to
machine it directly onto the diecast body. The fact that the OM mount
has several interfaces means that it would be very unlikely that
parallelism could be maintained ecomoically. The variation in
parallelism between bodies would be higher, for one thing.  The fact
that the shutter speed ring is mounted around the lensmount on these
cameras only makes the problem worse.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright