RE: [OM] The Death of Film

Subject: RE: [OM] The Death of Film
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:32:11 EST
>This is a most exciting time to be a "film" photographer.  All the
film
>makers are introducing some incredible films.  I am planning on
investing
>heavily in a short time on a bunch of new FILM based camera equipment.
>Probably will be my last film based system, but there is too much
exciting
>film technology right now to abandon it yet.

yeah, that was the trend right after music CD's were introduced: vinyl
got better - much better, in an effort to compete. But, for the
majority of the market, it isn't and wasn't about quality - it's about
convenience and fun. Someone mentioned something about the resolution
of a molecule of silver halide being unreachable via digital media,
well, I remember a big analog audio guru saying the same thing about
vinyl records - the information in the grooves was at the molecular
level. But, like I said, it doesn't matter a whit that digitial is not
as good as film. It's going to grow because it's fun, convenient, and
cool to have a digital camera. It's going to be harder and harder to be
a film photographer as the supplies dry up. Already this year, kodak
has discontinued infrared 4x5 sheet film, a repro film and a B+W paper
due to lack of sales. I've become an anachronism whenever I walk around
with my OM camera gear. Enjoy it while you can. Don't expect to get
rich if you ever sell your gear when it becomes too much of a hassle to
get and process film.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright