[OM] Olympus OM30 (OM-F).

Subject: [OM] Olympus OM30 (OM-F).
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 04:17:18 +0200 (CEST)
Hiya all,

I just digged up the old OM30 to show to a friend (and to compare the
sound of the shutter with an OM1). I remember feeding it new batteries
around newyear, and definitely remembering leaving it in "off" mode since
then (otherwise it eats batteries more badly than anything else).

I turned on the camera to manual mode, pressed the shutter release and the
mirror half-way fired and got stuck. There was no way I could get the
mirror to get back in position - I tired everything (switching to B
etc.). I finally founda fresh set of batteries, and klick - the mirror
swung back just fine. Testing with the "check" feature of the camera
revealed that indeed, the "old" batteries were dead and the new were ok.

This strikes me as wierd: the led's in the viewfinder were lighting up,
even with the old batteries, and there was no way (none that I knew
of) that I could get the camera "back to a neutral position" without
having fresh batteries.

Also I find it wierd that the camera was draining batteries even when in
"off".

Had I still known where had the manual, I'd be looking up if it
said anything about this. Since I (apparently) don't, and since I don't
use the OM30 very much (just one roll last year), I thought I'd ask around
here for more information. Is my OM30 behaving "normally", or is there
something I should ask Olympus to look into when I send it for an overhaul
this fall (probably)?

Also, it appears that the motor drive coupeling on the bottom of the OM30
is without a protective cap. It doesn't look like the on the other
OM-bodies I have (which are all single-digit), and I would guess that the
camera never had such a cap. But obviously it's a long long time ago I
bought this camera, and I do not have the manual at hand, so I do not
know for sure. Anyone, who can shed some light on that?

On a slightly related note: based on my recent experiences with great and
affordable service from Olympus Denmark, I have decided to graduately send
my camera bodies there to to be overhauled (for the most part just cleaned
and have the meter adjusted). Am I generally to be considred a nuts for
doing that (per the recent thread about changing oil on your car), or is
it something that's more common?

(And no, this is by no means in discredit of the very reputable OM-dealesr
/ workshops, who are present on the list. It is merely more convenient for
me to hand the gear to Olympus Denmark than it is to ship overseas).

--thomas