Re: [OM] Tom's pics

Subject: Re: [OM] Tom's pics
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:28:15 EDT

> I will admit to a touch of cheating on some of the shots, applying an
>  Unsharp mask (Why the heck is it unsharp, not sharp?).  On the bench, I
>  don't think I did.  Gotta love the Zuiks.

The term originally came from using a low  contrast negative black and white
image sandwiched with a slide when printing in a darkroom.  The low contrast
negative was made by sandwiching the unexposed negative to a slide but not
emulsion to emulsion. Because of the emulsions not contacting, the negative
image was slightly out of focus (thus unsharp).  This sandwich gives a
contrast increase just around the fine details of a picture and also lowers
general contrast. So, unsharp means sharper.

Warren