Re: [OM] Canon slide / negative scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Canon slide / negative scanners
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 18:58:45 PDT
FWIW, Shutterbug mag contributor David Brooks says the CanoScan FS2710 is about the best in its price class, just a shade better than the HP PhotoSmart and Minolta offerings. OTOH, Ctein, he of the mysterious single name, and technical photo guru in many disciplines, says the Minolta (Dimage?) is very good.

Personally, when offerings from various manufacturers are ranked so closely my strategy is to look at the software bundle and, in the case of film scanners, whether SilverFast is available for a particular model.
-----------
Lex Jenkins
Visit "Vistas Tejas" at http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/

From: Michael Dodson <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>

on 7/6/00 11:34, John Hudson at xyyc@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone use the Canon "CanoScan FS2710" slide and negative scanner
> and care to comment about their experience with the machine?
>
> Details of the scanner can be found at:
>
> http://www.usa.canon.com/camcambin/filmscanner/fs2710.html

John,

I too have been thinking about the 2710.  One review I saw on the 2700 said
it stinks but the reviewer thought the 2710 was a VAST improvement, so watch
out for opinions based on the earlier machine.

I want to scan slides to essentially have a dry darkroom. Image quality is
important to me.  So is my bank account!

Good luck. If you think about it, please post your final decision on the OM
list.  I am interested to know what you do.

Michael Dodson
mdodson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx