Re: [OM] In need of a second OM Body + more accurate metering....

Subject: Re: [OM] In need of a second OM Body + more accurate metering....
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:13:36 PDT
Metering off the palm of one's own hand is an old photojournalist's trick. Let's say your subject is in mixed lighting too difficult to meter accurately from where you are. Pretty typical of public meetings, photo ops, etc. Park yourself in lighting similar to that under which your subject is standing. Meter off your palm. Makes allowances for skin tone/color. Problem solved. You don't need to be particularly close to the subject.

Foliage works well also. Green grass, etc., meters pretty much the same as neutral gray. Find a patch that's lighted similarly to your subject and fire away.

Even with picky slide film it works well, assuming familiarity with how your choice of slide film responds under various lighting situations.
-----------
Lex Jenkins
Visit "Vistas Tejas" at http://www.photoscene.com/lexjenkins/

From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:25:04 +1000, Terry and Tracey wrote:

>I have the 1n and 4Ti. I've used the 4Ti twice, the 1n is used normally.
>Spot meter? Meter the palm of your hand and open one stop. Accuracy? You are >hard up to notice a difference of 1/3 stop. Any you know about your photos.

I also have both a 1n and a couple of  4Ts. Love the 1n, would never
take a thing away from it.

That said, metering your hand is hardly spot metering. What do you do
when the object you want to spot meter is 10 yds away? 100yds, a
mile? How do you do spot averaging?

On your other point, 1/3 stop doesn't mean a lot for print film, but
for transparencies (or IR film), 1/3 stop can be the difference
between an acceptable shot and a shot that gets EVERYTHING right.