Re: [OM] Denver Stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Denver Stuff
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:56:29 -0700
Steve G. writes:

<< The main reason the 21mm is less is that the iris does not
work at all.  No matter what aperture used, nothing happens when you
press the
stop down button or flick the lever on the back of the lens.  When I
mentioned
that the iris did not work, the first response was that the lens
probably
needed to be on a camera to work the aperature.  After someone in the
back
looked at it, they decided that the blades were oily.  I think something
is
disconnected. >>

Think of slow diaphragm blades from liquified grease as a 1st degree
problem. A more advanced and related 2nd degree stage is when they seize
up totally.

It seems that Mamiya 645 lenses are quite prone to the 2nd stage when
super-heated in the summer desert sun.

The repair costs on these problems make many run of the mill Zuikos
beyond economic repair. I suspect we'll be seeing Technik Camera selling
the as-is 21mm on eBay. They are a funny outfit in that they sell an
awful lot of inexpensive and broken items on eBay. I suppose their labor
must be free and abundant, or they just haven't run a balance sheet on
their endeavors. I bought a 35mm f/2 lens hood from them and "just said
no" to their high shipping charges. They were quite receptive to getting
a stamped bubble envelope from me and putting the item in the daily
mail, albeit uninsured.

FWIW, Camera Traders is on eBay, too. One of their repairmen has been
active in the past on the Canon FD mailing list. They have a very
bizarre grading system.

Anyone beside me shy away from shopping at a store that gets eBay fever?
I have a theory that when a business starts prominently selling on eBay,
they loose their bargain shoppers.  Folks might be assuming they won't
see as good a selection anymore.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV