[OM] mtf / sharpness

Subject: [OM] mtf / sharpness
From: atk@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 23 Sep 2000 16:00:23 -0000
I was comparing some of Gary's results to the mtf scores on photodo.com to
try to extrapolate the results to untested lenses. Naturally this proved futile
- maybe.

I started by comparing 85/1.4 nikor to 100/f2 zukio. The zukio scores higher
but the Nikkor tested better (nikor at f1.4 is 62 zukio at f2 is 72). So I
ask the question why ?

Well one factor of course is camera vibration et all. Another is the MTF scores
on photodo are based on infinity while Gary's test is not. Last but least I
suspect it is pointless as I now begin to suspect that contrast (details
between near items like leaves of a tree) is as or more important for a
pleaseing image than sharpness. Still, I find the 100f2 zukio an interesting
case because its mtf curve is very flat from wide open to f16. Does this mean
the lens behave differently (at different aperature) when closed focused? I
suppose that is quite possible if not probably since it does have a floating
element design.

One thing that does fascinate me about the om lenses is (compare to nikon/
canon/contax/minolta/pentax) the general lenses are generally much closer
focusing than the competitors. So what have I learned? Nothing.

I do have a question -- why do they test lenses (MTF) at infinity when most
images are (significantly) closer than infinity ?

Thanks!