Re: [OM] mtf / sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] mtf / sharpness
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:27:58 +0200
On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 04:00:23PM -0000, atk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was comparing some of Gary's results to the mtf scores on photodo.com to
> try to extrapolate the results to untested lenses. Naturally this proved
> futile
> - maybe.

Yes, especially because of the photodo`s top secret evaluation method there
I can`t see a way to compare the results anyway. I tried to compare the results
with
 MTF-curves from other tests. But It was total confusing.
It is funny when two tested examples of a lens are compared and the photodo
MTF-curves are clearly  inferior to the other ones, but the lens is ranked
better
in the photodo-calculation.

> I started by comparing 85/1.4 nikor to 100/f2 zukio. The zukio scores higher
> but the Nikkor tested better (nikor at f1.4 is 62 zukio at f2 is 72). So I
> ask the question why ?

Confused 72 is better than 62. :-|
In my opinion this lenses are pretty equal over all.

>  Still, I find the 100f2 zukio an interesting
> case because its mtf curve is very flat from wide open to f16. Does this mean
> the lens behave differently (at different aperature) when closed focused? I
> suppose that is quite possible if not probably since it does have a floating
> element design.

Hmm, there is not too much information about how lenses perform when close
focused. But would be pretty interesting.

Frieder Faig