Re: [OM] a humble request..

Subject: Re: [OM] a humble request..
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:29:57 -0500
On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 12:18:07PM -0600, Clyde Soles wrote:
> >I do enjoy the sense of community on this list, and the occasional off topic
> >rambles add to the  flavor, but please oh please for a little more
> >moderation....
> Absolutely agree!!! I'm about ready to sign off. Enough of the BS.

*sigh*

I was afraid of this...because this is indeed a list whose primary subject
is not firearms or many other things, but photography.

Firearms are a subject that inspires strong emotions on both sides of the
issue. As has been noted, discussions on the subject seldom lead to anyone
convincing anyone else.

My hope was that, in posting my beliefs on the subject, that perhaps I could
show others that there are calm, reasoned opinions that many of us have
spent time examining before making conscious decisions on whether and how to
arm ourselves, and if not convince them to see things our way, at least help
them to understand why we feel as we do. There are many incorrect statements
during this discussion I've let slide, often biting my tongue so hard as to
draw blood. I was hoping to stay out of it entirely, but finally could no
longer restrain myself.

It's been observed that those who decry hatred the most and loudest
nevertheless feel that it's acceptable to hate gun owners. I'm not accusing
anyone on this list of doing so, of course, but it's disheartening to see
the NRA and gun owners repeatedly demonized and slammed by folks who would
react with horror should a racial slur be muttered in their presence. After
a while, one gets sensitized. Perhaps I overracted; if so, I apologize.

I guess what I'm asking is that people on the other side of the issue think
before posting anti-gun comments, not because I'm tire of hearing them -
even though I am - but rather because doing so will inevitably trigger the
kind of discussion we've seen here.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go crawl back under my gun safe.