Re: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)

Subject: Re: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)
From: "Franklin A. Berryman" <rumford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:52:02 -0500
Well, I'll start off our return to Mt. Olympus.

I am relatively new to the list.  I wandered off the photography trail about 15
years ago with the birth of my first child.  Never could find the time to get
back in the darkroom.  So I ventured into computers and high-end audio (I won't
say anymore about that).  I did not venture off into an SUV (I won't say any
more about that either). My second child has now almost reached the age when
she could take a photography course in school, and so, inspired by the
possibilities, I dusted off my old equipment and found this list.  Since then,
I have acquired a new used OM-4 and a new used 65-200 f4 from some really nice
list members.

Off course alot has happened while I was gone - but most of it can be summed up
in two phrases: "wonder bricks" and "digital photography".  Which leads
directly into the dead horse.

I have difficulty seeing myself purchasing a digital camera and expect to
continue along in my old ways.  I would rather shoot film now and have it
knowing that the technology will eventually be able to extract the 18
megapixels or whatever film is capable of now, than shoot digital images at 3
megapixels now and be stuck with them forever.

So the question is do I shoot slide film or print film?  Which is best at being
scanned?  What is the best way of transferring the images from film to digital
short of spending $1000 to $1500 on a scanner that will be outdated before I
can transfer the "best of"  my existing images to disks.

The way I used to shoot was to take alot of Kodachome 25 (there was more light
when I was younger than there is now I guess), save the best and pitch the
rest.  Is a viable alternative to continue doing this and when I have a hundred
or so ship them off to a service to be transferred to CD.  Would a better
alternative be to send them a roll at a time to Kodak (or Fuji) for processing
and having them returned with the digital images being posted on the web.

Life is so complicated and I'd like a K.I.S.S. way out of the morass.

You get bonus points if you point out what is most cost effective.

Thanks in advance.