[OM] Shutter lock (was FM-2 vs. OM-1)

Subject: [OM] Shutter lock (was FM-2 vs. OM-1)
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:06:36 -0700 (PDT)
Doris Fang wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 01:23:44 -0400 (EDT)
> From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] OMs vs Nikon FM2
> sturdy body, and handles fairly well. My main problem with the FM/FM2n's
> is that OM-2000 like shutter-lock/wind lever "feature". I manage to miss
> a lot of shots because I failed to notice the lever's "in". AAaack.
> Its shutter is loud and high-pitched. Obnoxious, to be precise.
> The MD-12 is much heavier than a Winder 2. What I DO like about the
> FM-2n is that sweet 1/250th synch speed. If you like fill-flash work,
> and I do, this is something OM's just don't do well. Buy both.

Interesting. After using the FM-2 for a couple years for work purposes
(travel by jeep/bus and jumping in and out with cameras stuffed quickly into
bags), I came to think that what I most disliked about my OM's was the
lack of the shutter-lock position. I guess the manufacturer makes a choice
knowing that half the people will be dissatisfied either way.

Presumably we all agree on the synch speed though! Buy both? Nah, I'd
rather buy several more lenses than run a parallel system, but then people
differ on that as well...

More loyal to Olympus than I want to be,
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page:
        http://logos.uoregon.edu/uoling/faculty/pederson/pederson.html