[OM] Rejoining the Group

Subject: [OM] Rejoining the Group
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:08:37 -0700
Hello, all--I'm rejoining the group after a year-long hiatus. Glad to see
most of the gang is still here, although the number of people on the list
appears to have grown in accordance with the steady increase of prices
for Zuiko glass. I have a couple of questions for the group: 1) I'd like
to learn more about lens formulas. For example, I'm curious how some
Zuikos are made without the aid of a single achromat doublet (the
cemented lens pair commonly seen in lenses, considered a standard way of
reducing red/blue fringing), and yet seem to have no difficulty with
chromatic aberration (I believe the 135 f/2.8 and the 100 f/2.8 are
examples). And, also for example, I'm not all that swift on my knowledge
of aberrations in general. Does anyone have a website or a book to
recommend, that takes a layperson into a deeper understanding of lens
design, and the tradeoffs involved in designing a lens?  2) Where can I
find a 2-series focusing screen for my 4Ti? 3) What's the favorite way of
dealing with the dim original screens in OM1s and OM2s? Any ways to
brighten the image in these classics and still use the internal meter? I
think I'm using the old 1-1 or 1-14 screens still.

Thanks,

Kelton