Re: [OM] A load of crap! (was WOW!!! OM system vs E-series) (long reply)

Subject: Re: [OM] A load of crap! (was WOW!!! OM system vs E-series) (long reply)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:32:07 -0800
In a message dated 11/22/2000 Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< He is full of S**T if he thinks any consumer lens is 3-4x sharper
than the
35-80/2.8, certainly one of the best medium-range zooms ever made for
35mm. >>

Go look at the technical description of the E-10's lens here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E10/E10A5.HTM

Next, go actually look at an E-10 and take a look at some 13x19 Epson
inkjet prints from files taken with this camera. Then, and only then,
try to tell me that camera is "consumer" with a "consumer lens" as for
now, having done all the above myself I can not accept that opinion.

For another opinion besides Olympus' on "digital lenses" go check out
the following link:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/pressreleases/kina.htm

Seems that Olympus and Schneider seem to agree on this "designed for
digital" "load of crap" we have been discussing. The Schneider
explanation gets much more techie and seems to add creditbility to
Olympus' stance.

While some are still rating the Can*n D30 and Nik*n D1 as the best
(non-LF) digi-cams out there, many reviews are saying that for image
quality (isn't that what this is all about?) the E-10 is the best
digital camera on the market today, bar none.

I made the serious mistake of going into my local camera store and
playing with one Saturday. Demand and availability is insane...they are
marking them up 200-300 over the $1999.00 msrp and all they had left was
the store demo. Not that I am going to go digital anytime soon anyway, I
was just there to play and told them so up front. This store has always
pushed Can*n yet they are praising the E-10 like it is the holy grail of
the digital world. They had two 13x19 prints (Epson 1270 printer,
Olympus Pictorico Glossy "Film" paper) from images taken with this
camera. One was a common local ocean seashore type shot, the other a
close-up of a young blond girl's face. Both were stunning. Detail was
mind blowing, especially the shot of the girl where you could count her
hairs at larger than lifesize on that 13x19 print. The results really
were stunning. Better than I would expect from my own files printed on
the same printer...yes, even with the 350/2.8 and Provia F. Perhaps if I
went to Calypso Imaging and got one of their drum scans and crystal
archive prints (we're talking 100 bux for the scan and the first print
mind you) one could beat it with film, but short of that I'm no so sure
now...

The feel and build quality of the E-10 was top notch as well. Yes,
typical "wunderbrick" plastic over cast aluminum frame construction. But
the E-10 has a robust feel like a high end Nik*on and sturdier feel than
a high end E*S. All the switches and controls had a very solid feel. The
glass...well, it simply looked like typical high end Zuiko glass we know
and love. The focus is "fly by wire" but the zoom ring's feel was
typical Zuiko.

Just because the marketing phrase "Camedia" is associated with the E-10
does not make it a consumer camera any more than the name E*S does a
high end Can*n SLR. The E-10 is definately a serious professional tool.
I am half tempted as the combination of an E-10, a couple adapter lenses
(you all know which ones I want), an iBook, an Epson 1270 and power
inverter would run around 4-5k all told and could pay for itself pretty
darned quick.

Tempted but not yet...prices will continue to plunge and
features/speed/resolution will continue to climb. Meanwhile, Olympus
does have a winner in the E-10 and much as we would all love a digital
OM body, we also know it ain't gonna happen. I find it much easier to
embrace the E-10 than the D30 or D1...

Two major optical manufacturers are now explaining why digital lenses
need to differ from film optimized lenses. Olympus' explanation was
weak, but Schneider's is much more in-depth.

Digital photography has come a long way in a very short time. Olympus
has just raised the bar with the E-10 and unless one has a sizeable
investment in Can*n or Nikk*r glass, IMO one would be foolish not to
consider the E-10 as an alternative to the big two.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com