Re: [OM] A load of crap! (was WOW!!! OM system vs E-series) (long reply)

Subject: Re: [OM] A load of crap! (was WOW!!! OM system vs E-series) (long reply)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:34:45 -0800
In a message dated 11/28/2000 "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< Taking for granted your comments about image quality, did you have
the
chance to form an opinion about usability? From the write-ups I've
seen it does have (optional) full manual focus - do you know how easy
it is to use? (You made some passing comments which I didn't quite
uinderstand.) >>

All I saw were two prints. 13x19 (inches) from an Epson 1270 inkjet
printer. They were both truly stunning, especially the larger than life
girl's fase on Pictorico "glossy film" paper.

The lens is fly-by-wire for manual focus and I really couldn't tell in
the in-store demo how well/fast it worked. The Zoom ring is silky
smooth, typical Olympus/Zuiko. There is a switch on the left side of the
body for AF/MF.

<< One thing I hate with auto-everything cameras is sluggish response.
It
takes a while fron pressing the button to getting the shot. How is the
E-10 for this? If you're shooting action even a short delay means
you've missed it. Is the zoom power-only? You said it had a Zuiko feel
so presumably there is something you can actually push. >>

Again, I didn't have much of a chance to play. I told the owner of the
shop I was there to play, not to buy (especially at $200.00 over list!).
There was actually a small line forming to play with this thing (and
they only had the demo...all stock was sold out and they were taking
orders against the rest of their 2000 alotment). Now, I happen to own
two IS series cameras and love them so the ergonomics of the E10 felt
great to me. The build quality and feel is much more like a high end
Nik*n or Can*n than an IS-3. Zoom is a mechanical zoom ring like all
high-end modern AF gear, not push-button like an IS series camera. The
"shutter" release reaction time is supposed to be 100ms which is very
good for a digi-cam.

<< Do you know what "film speeds" it shoots at, and what image quality
is
like at the fast end? >>

Haven't a clue. Haven't delved that deep into the specs since I am not
currently in the market... Go to
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E10/E10A5.HTM and
http://www.olympus-innovation.com/common/choosecamframeset.html for more
information.

<< The image files will be pretty big - can you get enough on-board
storage for a decent batch of shots? >>

It takes the two common forms of digital media including the new little
tiny hard drives so storage isn't an issue.

I am half tempted to soon stretch for whatever evloves from the E10 in
the next couple years along with Olympus' new 8x10 dye-sub printer. No
computer is required to print and that combination could actually pay
for itself in less than a season of car club track event shoots. (I
could sell scads of 8x10s for $25.00 each if I could print on demand the
day and location of the event...it is tempting.) I am going to see if
some of the SF Bay Area professional stores that do rentals have one to
rent next March (big car club shoot planned) and try one out--in
addition to shooting film through my OMs of course. Meanwhile I am
anxious to hear some real world experiences from the E10 if anyone out
there gets their hands on one.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com