[OM] Re: [OT] Chuffed...and car sales

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Chuffed...and car sales
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:49:09
Right. Same tactics apply to pawn shop sales. The longer an item sits the more it costs the pawn shop - like most businesses they operate on borrowed money. They might decline your offer this week/month and accept it the next. The trick is, do you want to take the chance that it'll still be there next week/month?

Sometimes pawn shops screw up so badly on loans they can't dig themselves out. One of my favorite local shops has done that with an ordinary 70-200 Vivitar zoom that normally should sell for $25-$50, tops. They've had it marked $199 for nearly a year and won't budge on the price. I've told 'em it's not a Series 1 or anything special and they'll never sell it at that price. Apparently some "expert" has told 'em differently. Odd because I've bought items from this shop at very low prices relative to the actual value. Sometimes it's better to take the loss and get the item off the shelf.
Lex Jenkins
"Yeah. Me. Baby. Love. Dig. More. Night. All. You. She. Car. My. Her. Top. Down." - Assemble it yourself rock song
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:30:02 EST
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx

...the salesperson can only go so low without authorization. It's a
matter of control on behalf of management as well as fear of the salesperson giving away everything...if they've been paying interest on that vehicle for months, chances are the manager/owner will be more amenable to meeting an offer...