[OM] Fw: brighter OM1 viewfinder

Subject: [OM] Fw: brighter OM1 viewfinder
From: "Machiel" <machiel.botman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 10:08:17 +0100
Re: brighter OM1 viewfinder          Hi there, I just returned to have another
look at all the Olympus talk and saw someone asking about improving the OM1's
            viewfinder,

  {The digest is indeed much easier to digest than having all the messages all
the time}

  This is what I did for clearer screens:  changed the standard screens in my
two 4TI's to screens 2-4 and 2-13 (one is all matt, the other has a split
image, I can't remember which is which).  The difference is great, for instance
these camera's are now clearer than the Leica R4S2 I used before.  (and it WAS
the other way around).
  These screens won't fit the OM1, unless you file a bit off the small part
that sticks out.  Instead I bought a Beattie screen, all matt, which a friend
brought along from NY, for $65.
  Now the finder of my OM1 is exactly similar to my OM4's - great again.
Beattie says you must check the metering by comparing the lightvalues of the
old screen to the new screen, and if they differ, you adjust them by changing
the ASA rating.
  In my case I had to change from ASA 400 to 200 to get correct 400 ASA
metering, and from ASA 125 to 64 to get correct ASA 125 metering.  This is easy
to remember, and when I see my repairman next I will ask him if he can change
the metering so all is normal again.
  Had I known what I know now, I would have just filed off an extra Olympus
screen because, if I remember well, they were half the prize.
  For that brightness these screens are very important, I think much more than
the 1.2 or 1.4 or 2.0 of the lens.  My OM4 with the standard screen and a
1.4/50 was dark compared to the other OM4 with the 2-13 screen and a 2/40.

  I do not understand why Olympus doesn't put these better screens in.  It
makes all the difference.  Best, Machiel