[OM] Re: [OT] Aircraft ammunition pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Aircraft ammunition pictures
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:26:44
Olaf, for the sake of being specific and cautious I'd refer to those items that are not loaded in cartridges as projectiles rather than bullets. To the best of my knowledge (as a longtime shooter and reloader of my own ammunition) the term bullet refers only to small arms projectiles - 50 caliber or less - that are known to be non-explosive. A projectile *could* be considered explosive or frangible.

The whitish oxidation you've noted on some projectiles can even be found on aging lead bullets. I'm inclined to think it's as much a factor of environmental conditions as of the metallurgy. Our artisian well water produces the same effect on pewter and certain aluminum kitchen utensils that are allowed to soak too long.

Regarding whether any of this ordnance is live or dangerous, from what I've seen, projectiles of 20mm or less are generally non-explosive or non-frangible. Primers and powders in unfired casings are another matter. Small arms ammunition of 50 caliber or less have proven quite safe and stable over many decades. At worst they simply won't fire even when you want them to. But I don't know about the larger cartrdiges. Linked ammunition like some of the samples you've photographed typically contain non-explosive projectiles - but, again, I'm not certain about your samples. Even many non-explosive rounds contain tracers spaced apart at least every few rounds.

Do you have a safe storage facility for your collection that's detached from your dwelling? It's quite easy to make one of something like scrap railroad ties. Even better if it's partly depressed into the ground.

It's certainly a nice collection. Knowing that there are many serious ammo collectors around the world I'd be surprised if there isn't a reference somewhere on the 'net to either a site or book containing more specific info.

Regarding the overall quality of the photos - try rigging a reflector/diffuser like my delicious Marie Callender pie pan and white styrofoam plate doodad. Diffusion helps tremendously in making photos of metallic objects readable.