Re: [OM] Lessons using a Zuiko 500mm reflex

Subject: Re: [OM] Lessons using a Zuiko 500mm reflex
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:09:45 +0000
Cc: hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:41:34 +0100
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>

        Hans said
<Depends. What did you mean with the phrase: "small birds like blue tits"?

My bird book (1966 edition) says that the formal name is 'Parus caeruleus' but I would not have known if you had not asked. It also reports another nine varieties of t*t in addition to the blue of which I have seen about four in our garden at one time and another.

'Cream thieving passerine' as suggested by someone sounds quite an apt description for the blue variety which is a regular visitor to our garden and is very welcome; especially now that we normally have skimmed milk delivered as my wife reports that they do no seem to attack the milk bottle tops covering that. They are quite happy to dine on bread crumbs and peanuts if proffered when they cannot find enough insects in crevices in the trees or round window frames.

We had better not go OT into a discussion of all the words for which we would need alternatives if PC spreads its influence!

Brian.