[OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle - enough of the spectacle!

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle - enough of the spectacle!
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:05:54
Gotta disagree with you, Jay. As a former nurse and EMT myself, and later a newspaper journalist and then an OSHA safety investigator, I have a wide range of experience and perspective on this issue.

I strongly believe the greater good of the public is better served by a free exchange of information. When information is withheld the status quo is maintained and nothing is improved. Even when changes are made secretly to improve safety or prevent future accidents, such secrecy insults the intelligence and rights of the public in a free society.

Yes, there are certainly occasions when news reporting exceeds the bounds of good taste and exploits the suffering of victims and families. It is a risk we must be willing to accept in order to avoid the type of total censorship imposed in other nations, which leads to citizens continuing to be exposed to dangerous situations because important information has been withheld.

Keep in mind that news media reports are often the primary source of historical documentation for future generations. When the news media are told lies or given incomplete information, history becomes an incomplete lie.

Lex
===