Re: [OM] camera plating

Subject: Re: [OM] camera plating
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:28:08 -0500

>Does anyone know if it is practical to replate a camera body - in particular
>the black body models?  I know years ago Edmund Scientifc used to sell a
>plating kit that would allow blackened plating.
>
>Jim Caldwell

Yes, anything is possible, but expect that any service tech to consider it
"tampered" when getting it repaired.

Caswell is introducing a black nickel plating kit for the DIY hobbiest. This
would work well on brass. Titanium is another matter. I don't know what kind
of chemical process would be appropriate for that material. Obviously, you
would have to dissassemble the body such that the parts to be plated were
merely "hunks of metal". See reference to "tampering" above.
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright