Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:24:00 EDT
In a message dated 4/9/01 4:47:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jpendley@xxxxxxx
writes:
> So the best way for us to "educate our young citizens properly"
>  is to turn off the TV and put a good book in their hands.  If you have any
>  success at doing that, let me know :>}.

I only wish that it were that simple. My hub and I are both voracious
readers, limited tube time throughout our son's childhood, and he witnessed
our love of literature every day. He simply does not enjoy reading per se for
recreational purposes. However, he consumes technical magazines and
information regarding Linux or anything involving computer technology.The
very thought that I have a child that disdains literature gives me immense
heartburn. Surely a Martian flew over and impregnated me one hot summer
evening... Actually, I fear all of his genes must have clustered from my
father's side, as he was an electrical engineer and was the same way.

While environment definitely influences a child's ability to progress, I have
had to concede that genetics plays an even stronger role in aptitudes and
abilities. This has been a hard lesson for a former schoolteacher.
Susan

Susan Steele
Virginia USA