Re: [OM] Race Car Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Race Car Photography
From: "Daryl Hurley" <dhurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 08:16:46 -0500
My thoughts (and opinions):
    Equipment
Take the 35-80 for the paddock and pit areas.  The 75-150 may be useful if
you can get closed enough to the track.  While the 135 is covered within the
range of your 75-150, it offers the advantage of being a faster lens, and
opens up the option to use a 2x to make it a 270/5.6,  and take the 500 in
case you really do have to shoot from the grandstand.  Forget the monopod
unless you need a weapon.  In the stands it will be in the way and it
inhibits panning.

I usually use 100ASA film, but on a cloudy day with a long slow lens and a
2x some 200 or even 400 speed film can really make a difference in your
shooting speed.   If weight becomes an issue something like a stylus or an
XA can be carried for use in the pit/paddock area, a lightweight alternative
to the 35-80.  Take spare batteries, lots of film, and a backup body.  A
winder or motor drive is nice, but not absolutely necessary.

    Technique
Boils down to the 3 P's, pre-focus, pan, and pray.  Have fun.

Daryl Hurley
Topeka, KS