[OM] Farm Sex and Slow Film Rant [was] Everyone's Film of Choice

Subject: [OM] Farm Sex and Slow Film Rant [was] Everyone's Film of Choice
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 23:53:44 +0000
At 03:41 5/11/01, Ray Moth wrote:
Donald MacDonald wrote:

(Snip) . . . Now that Kodak are cutting me off from 25, what do slow
film enthusiasts use now?
A neutral-density filter?  ;-)

Regards,

=====
Ray

Ray, I know it was said in jest.

Yes, an ND can make another film require exposures the same as ISO 25, but sadly the resulting image will not have the resolution/sharpness of an ISO 25! Kodachrome 25 is super fine grained with an extremely thin emulsion compared to other color films. Kodachrome 25 is similar in color response and contrast to 64, but not quite identical which creates problems for some of its devotees.

As I recall there was a gnashing of teeth, rending of clothing and great wailing when Royal Gold (a.k.a. Ektar 25) was discontinued. More recently the same occurred when Agfa announced discontinuing its ISO 25 B/W film. Agfa had predicted a several year supply and it vanished in more like several months! There may not be many users of these slow films, but they are true devotees to them. Like Donald I have a few rolls in the freezer and am contemplating placing a rather large order for Kodachrome 25 and freezing it. Kodak is _claiming_ what happened to Agfa won't happen to them . . . but who knows.

As someone who pushes limits of 35mm film into large prints I too like the slow films. Sadly they're all disappearing. I fear that Tech Pan may be next. Yes, I can pull out the M645 and start using it for making large prints, but getting the same size large prints from 120/220 film is much more expensive.

For conspiracy theorists on the list:
It's a conspiracy to rid the world of high resolution images. Get rid of them and dumb down the masses to computer screen resolutions. Then make tons of money selling a googol of comparatively low resolution digital cameras, lenses and other gizmos to the unsuspecting consumer sheep.

I have certain standards for large prints because I _know_ what's possible, and I'm not about to go back down to the farm . . . 'cause I've already seen Paris.

-- John