RE: [OM] [OT] Where to use my Oly's near Detroit/Toledo

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Where to use my Oly's near Detroit/Toledo
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:21:38 -0400
Mike,
With kids that age, stick to the Toledo area.  Greenfield Village would be
great for all, but also rather busy this time of year. Don't forget Henry
Ford Museum, right next door to Greenfield Village.

The Toledo Zoo is good, Fort Meigs will be somewhat boring for kids that
age.  Rather than traveling to Detroit, consider Sandusky (Cedar Point) if
you want some excitement for your kids.  Rides up the kazoo, entertainment
in the form of shows (think of it as a Midwestern Disneyland without Mickey
Mouse and Donald Duck).  Cost to get into Cedar Point will be ~$25 per
person.

There isn't anything worthwhile in Windsor to see that I can think of.
Reputation of Windsor is a dancer-bar town where you take customers that
attend big shows in Detroit.  All they do is make cars there and have MANY
bars with lap dancers.  A place I avoid if at all possible.

Downtown Detroit is the pits unless you go to Greektown and that's best seen
by adults wanting good/great food.

As far as long lenses go, there are some great bird sanctuaries not far from
Toledo on the way to Sandusky...

You can't miss with the Mud Hens.

Go an hour west of Toledo to Archbold, OH and Sauder Village.  All your
family will like that.  It is an historical village run by the Sauder
Foundation.  Sauder Woodworking (the largest manufacturer of you-assemble-it
furniture is based in Archbold.  The village has a great atmosphere, and a
small train that both your daughters will love.  Your daughters will also
provide you with the opportunity to ride the train, too! Lots of old-timey
demonstrations of glass blowing, broom making, etc.  Laid out nicely so you
can walk and not get too tired.  Think of it as a small Greenfield Village.

You can easily spend the day doing Sauder Village and eating at the Barn
Restaurant which is right next door.  You could also stay in the Heritage
Inn, VERY NICE lodging.  I am often there when I go to Archbold to have
meetings at Sauder.

Two hours south of Toledo is Dayton and the Air Force Museum, but I don't
think your 1-year old would appreciate it.  But, 2 .5 hours from Toledo is
the Columbus Zoo and other great attractions there. Just take Route 23 right
to Columbus.  Zoo and other goodies are on north side, easy to get to from
Toledo.  While you're in Columbus, you could also visit Columbus Camera and
Midwest Photo!  (:>)

If you find yourself with too much to do, you're welcome to drive south on
I75 to Troy, OH where I live just north of Dayton and we could have a nice
quiet dinner and the kids could play in the back yard.

I will be in Cleveland (3 hours from Toledo) from the 4-7th and then
attending the United Methodist West Ohio Annual Conference Meeting on the
8th for a retirement dinner for a minister from our church here in Troy.
But, I will be home from the evening of the 9th for the next 2 weeks!  The
place we will be (my wife is a minister) is in Lakeside, OH.  Normally a
good place to go for a quiet time except for all those United Methodists
that week.  Lakeside is a great family place that doesn't show up on maps,
you have to know about it...

Cleveland's too far for you to travel with young kids for the 3 hours, but
some other time all of you would enjoy the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the
Science Museum, the Cleveland Zoo and Aquarium as well as Six Flags just
south of Cleveland.

Hope you enjoy yourselves in Ohio, it is a good place to visit.  Not
glamorous like NY or CA, not exciting like some other parts of the country,
but nice, just real nice.

Brian P. Huber

  One of the things I've noticed about this list is how helpful