Re: [OM] Battery-Munching OMs. Any retrofits ever tried?

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery-Munching OMs. Any retrofits ever tried?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:48:35 +0000
At 20:44 6/21/01, Dave Bellamy wrote:
4. (The one I like!): Wire up an off-switch to the self-timer lever so that
pushing it to the left switches the entire camera off, rather than just the
beeper.

More power to you if you manage this modification for your own body. Some of us prefer to put the switch in that position during operation because we don't like or want the constant "beeping." BTW, that in itself, without any mods, helps conserve the cells.

Oh yes, and:
5. (The one I like even more!): Wire up an off-switch to the self-timer lever
so when you push it to the right it beeps for 20 seconds and then turns the
camera off. Great for that guy that buys the camera from you and then goes to
take that all important shot of himself and his mates outside the pub one
night!).

ROFL!

Some tips for conserving cells in these bodies:

a. Ensure you rotate the shutter speed ring to the "red 60" or "red B" position before storing the body in a camera bag. This turns off the viewfinder display, _including_ the viewfinder illuminator and prevents it from being activated. I suspect some bodies blamed for being excessive "battery eaters" were stored in a bag with something next to it depressing the viewfinder illuminator button. If this happens and it's not turned off, the cells will drain to zero very, very quickly.

b. Use _only_ SR44 silver oxide cells in these bodies. The best are SR44W or #357 silver oxide watch batteries. They are slightly different than the SR44 cells and are intended to operated well with a continuous tiny drain on them. I also found the #357 watch cells from the jewelry counter are less expensive than SR44's from the camera counter at several stores in my home town. Alkalines are guaranteed not to last long.

-- John