[OM] 35-70's Your opinions

Subject: [OM] 35-70's Your opinions
From: "Erwin Voogt" <photovoogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 07:53:28 -0000
Cc: c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Chris wrote:

What are peoples opinions out there in zuikoland
regarding the differences between the zuiko 35-70 F3.6
and the 35-70 3.5-4.5 (the really compact one)? I
presently have the F3.6 version, but I'm wondering if
its worth carrying around the bulky version, when I
could sell it and get a nice small one,

With a bit of luck and some patience the 35-70/3.5-4.5 can be bought very cheap (less than $60). It that case it will be certainly worth the money.

is there a major difference in imagine quality? (if at all)

Not at all.
However, focusing can be quite difficult with the 35-70/3.5-4.5. In reality the lens operates as a F4.5 lens: at 35 mm the aperture closes down to F4.5 when the aperture ring is turned to F5.6 or higher. So the "bright" viewfinder of F3.5 is only available when the lens is set to 35 mm _and_ the aperature ring is set to F3.5! For me this was a reason to look for a brighter zoom, although I still use the 35-70/3.5-4.5 because of its small size.

A nice advantage of the 35-70/3.5-4.5 is its close-focusing capability. I found it a major drawback of the 35-70/3.6 and other zooms that it only focuses to 0.7 meters.

Also are 49mm to 55mm adapters available to attach
55mm filters onto 49mm threaded lenses? I've been
looking on Eb#y, but can't seem to find one at all.

They do exist. Most camera shops will sell them, new or used.

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html