RE: [OM] lens selection + 180/2.8 (was : another philosophical question

Subject: RE: [OM] lens selection + 180/2.8 (was : another philosophical question about the 135)
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:50:18 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

> From: "gries"
>
> If I have the "basic set" as 35 shift, 85/2 and
> 135/2.8, I introduce a
> new filter size, but I think that the sharpness
> would be the deciding factor.
><snip>
> Small but opulent, that's what I say.  Also, if
> you can live below your
> means, then you are better off in the end.

Couldn't agree more with each of these diverse
remarks.  My dream system is still a shift wide
angle + this 90/2.  I haven't figured out whether
it's worth it to get the 24mm, specially because
the 35mm would replace my 50mm in the process.
But I'm not up to that purchase yet, I'm still
discovering the 90mm.  But if I would ever get to
that point, it would leave me with just 2 lenses
for all my shooting.

Expensive lenses, though.  Ehrm, in order to
agree with the "living below your means", I can
only say that the less lenses you have, the
cheaper it is on average.  And that you should
shoot slide film to avoid printing costs.
Anyway, back to the lenses.

I'm not a fan of zooms, I think they're clumsy
("woops, wrong ring"), confusing ("now what was
the image I was looking for again ?") and they
make you lazy.  Aside from those minor quibbles,
they're fine :-)

Taking only my 90/2 to the Sfinks World Music
Festival this weekend, I had very light equipment
and I needed no bag.  In the small tent where the
more small-scale bands do their thing, I was
close enough to make full-frame shots of the
artists.  It made the perfect lens for taking
some pictures of people.  And for the main stage,
it gave a bit of an overview of the audience +
stage.  One fixed lens gives enough diversity
already, that I would never trade mine for a zoom
anymore.

As for other fixed lenses, I don't think I would
have used my 28mm as much.  I tried that last
year, and while there's some interesting
pictures, it's not so involved as the 90, because
of the little tele effect.  Same for the 50mm.
And I would have hated my 75-150, mainly because
the 90mm "feels" better in use.  The 150 could
have been nice, though.  Anybody want to trade
that zoom for a 180/2.8 ?  That looks like an
interesting lens, though it doesn't seem to get a
lot of discussion here.  Or was that my selective
attention bothering me ?

Peter.

=====
--