Re: [OM] Films for Palmyra

Subject: Re: [OM] Films for Palmyra
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:37:59 EDT
Re: [OM] Films for Palmyra

 >>Why not just dig a hole? Put your film in a waterproof container
 >>(tupperware, ice chest, or something) and bury it about a foot deep. I
 >>believe the temperature will remain stable and cool enough not to damage
 >>the film.
 >>-Charles Packard

 I think that the experience of a hole as being cool occurs only in
 the temperate zone.  Remember that alligators and turtles bury their
 eggs so that they do not cool off and maintain hatching temperature. >>

I suppose it depends on ground temperature (well, of course!) so if you were
on the north side of a building that would be a better cooler place to bury
anything! Do the reptiles bury their eggs where it is sunny perhaps?

My Dad remembers "Chagules" being used in Iraq. Fill these semi-porous canvas
bas with water and the water goes through the fabric a bit and evaporates.
They used these as water bottles if they went out in a vehicle and hung them
on the side of the vehicle. The water inside would get really cold due to
evaporative heat loss. Water bottles were also covered in wet cloth to do
this.

When going fishing my Dad puts his drink bottle in a wet sock (a clean one)
and hangs it up to cool his drink!

Of course, you'd need a wateright container to put the films into in the
first place! You wouldn't necessarily need to keep this _in_ the water, maybe
could put the film container in an enclosure open at the front, with some
damp thick cloth over the front, which has to be kept damp maybe by putting
the bottom of it into a bowl of water etc. Outside or inside, wouldn't
matter. I would guess that high ambient humidity would lessen this
evaporative cooling effect (as with a wet/dry bulb humidity measuring
thermometer), but it might work.

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/