Re: [OM] [OT] (sort of) Framing Advice and Supplies

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] (sort of) Framing Advice and Supplies
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:19:30 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Q:  Has anyone used plexiglass for glazing?

Yes.  I like it. I've used it to build picture frames,
doors, even a chain guard for our tandem bike.
I have a very precious Tibetan Thankga framed
behind Lucite.

I use a table saw with a thin kerf, fine cut carbide
blade to cut it. If you are not experienced with
scoring and snapping this stuff (its very tough),
sawing gives more consistent results.

> Q:  How does that compare to good quality glass?

There are two grades generally available. If I remember correctly
"Lucite" is the tougher type. It is often touted as "bullet proof".
The other grade is just plain Plexiglass, marketed as window glass
replacement.

Lucite is not distinguishable from glass at normal viewing distances,
i.e. more than 6 inches. Fairly abrasion resistant, so unless the
framed images receive REALLY rough handling, no significant marks
will develop for a long time. (I have a front storm door that is
top-to bottom Lucite, and behind that a main door of tempered glass.
After 3 years, the Lucite door (which is bullet proof!) is scuffed,
but still presentable and unyellowed even though it is exposed to
sunlight (from the south), snow, rain, cat spray and pollution.
The  inner tempered glass door, is better looking, but it
actually has a few bad scratches on it.

- Parzival