Re: [OM] hypothetically

Subject: Re: [OM] hypothetically
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:38:22 -0500
The OM-4 still needs battery power to fire a flash, even in the mechanical
(red) speeds.  But if there's enough
power, it should still trigger the flash properly even in the red "60".

If you're using a non-dedicated flash, you would need to set the lens' aperture
according to the scale on the
flash.  If the flash was set on one of the auto settings, the output would vary
according to the amount of light
reflected into the flashes' sensor.  If the lens was set on a very small
aperture, and the flash was set for a very
low output, it might _appear_ that there wasn't an exposure.  Check your
negatives very closely -- are you sure
there's absolutely _no_ sign of light, say from a lightbulb in the background
or something?

You can test the sync very easily -- remove the lens, open the camera back,
attach the flash (shoe or PC plug) and
point it toward the floor while you fire the camera.  With the camera on
manual/60 (either red or white speeds), you
should see the entire focal aperture (rectangle where the photo is "made") when
the flash goes off.  Be sure the
batteries are good!