Re: [OM] OM-2S flash mistake

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S flash mistake
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 23:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
Don Gaikins wrote:

Why go through all of the trouble that you mention?  I have an OM2S
also.  I put a new set of 357 batteries in it about 7 to 8 months ago
and they are still going strong.

At that rate even if the batteries failed today, and I used two sets
per year, that would only be about $2.00 per year for batteries (I
picked up 10 last year for about $.50 each).

I do not leave the flash attached to the camera when not in use.  I
just leave the mode lever in what ever position that it was in when
last used, and the same thing for the shutter speed.

I think the hype of the OM2S eating batteries is more myth then fact.

Don,

I do use flash quite often, because I find the Olympus TTL flash system
works so well for me, but I never leave the T32 flashgun switched on
longer than necessary. My camera has the green flash ready indicator,
which draws current from the camera's batteries and shortens their
life. I could get the conversion to the red indicator done, which would
then draw current from the flashgun batteries, but it's a bit awkward
arranging that from Indonesia.

I used to do exactly what you do, i.e. just leave the camera in
whatever mode it was in when putting it away, but I was lucky to get
more than 4 months from one set of silver oxide cells. I started
selecting a red shutter speed only recently, on the advice of others,
but it turned round and bit me in the *ss! As I said, that's my own
fault. There does seem to be some variability between OM-2S cameras
regarding longevity of batteries, and so YMMV.

The reason I started taking more precautions was to avoid
inconvenience, not cost. As I've mentioned in a more recent post, I
can't find silver oxide cells in Indonesia and it's a pain for someone
to keep sending them to me from overseas. A couple of people on the
list have kindly offered to help out but I think it's still worth
prolonging the battery life as much as possible. I have found, BTW,
that shelf life of silver oxide batteries can be short; for example, I
bought 4 SR44 cells at one time in the UK and, when the first pair was
used up four months later, I found the second pair lasted only 4 weeks!

Regards,

=====
Ray