Re: [OM] Orinids meteor shower...exposure, film etc help

Subject: Re: [OM] Orinids meteor shower...exposure, film etc help
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 14:30:04 +0100
Well, all the meteors I've ever got on film have been purely
serendipitous, so I can't really offer any tried and tested advice.  But
testing to see how long you can go before your light pollution gets
intrusive would be the best plan.  I'd say try and keep your aperture as
wide as possible for maximum meteor capturing power.

I photographed the International Space Station going over my house a few
months ago.  Middle of London so one of the most light-polluted places
in the world.  With a 28mm f/2.8 lens and 0.42x fisheye adaptor I
exposed for approximately 10 minutes, aperture wide open, on (if I
recall correctly) 200 speed print film.  The sky was a bit yellow and
murky but the space station came out beautifully, recorded right across
the sky with a bright flare right overhead (presumably as part of it
caught the sun).  So I'd say you can do surprisingly long exposures
before light pollution intrudes.

Key thing, though - avoid the moon.  If the moon is up the game's over,
really as after a very few minutes the sky will totally wash out.  But
I've just checked and for the Orionids this year the moon will have set
by the time it gets dark so that's no worries.

Good luck - I guess you're preparing for the big one on November 17th?

Roger