[OM] 4Ti & 90 Macro (woes)

Subject: [OM] 4Ti & 90 Macro (woes)
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 20:51:15 -0000
Bob Whitmire reports

> Lots of mirror hang-ups with the 4Ti.
<snip>

I had a similar problem with the 90 macro and 4Ti - lens was OK on
other bodies and body was fine with other lenses. It turned out that
the lever in the body which actuates the stop-down was rubbing against
the back of the lens mount and jamming. A twist of the lens (sometimes
even while still locked in place) or a press on the DOF lever loosened
things up enough to free it.

You should be able to see if this happens by shooting with the back
open on B - watch the lever move, or not.

I took it to UK Oly repair agents Luton Camera Repairs in Bristol. It
was obviously an interesting challenge, because Gary the engineer
spent a long time prodding it, and it now works perfectly (touch wood,
stroke rabbit's foot, chew garlic etc. etc)

I thought it was just an unlucky coincidence with this particular lens
and body being at the wrong end of manufacturer's tolerance for each
other. But it has been reported on this list by a few people before,
nearly always with the 90 macro IIRC. Perhaps there's just something a
bit different about its mount design.

John