Re: [OM] New Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olys
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:41:02 +0000
ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Here's the main paragraph of the Photo Industry Reporter article. The
> new interchangeable-lens digital SLR *will not* use existing Olympus
> lenses....

This INFURIATES me!  Why on earth would it not?  If you really do need
different optical technology for digital as opposed to film use (and I
am not sufficiently informed to know why this is.  In astronomy, there
was no need to build masses of new telescopes when CCDs began to replace
film 10-15 years ago) you could at least use the same mount as the old
lenses.  The Nikon D1X can use Nikkor lenses made in the 50s, and this
doesn't seem to have affected its reputation for producing high quality
images.  I've never seen a review that didn't drool over it.

Is this just Olympus wanting to force us all to buy entirely new kit if
we should want to go digital?  If so, then that's the kind of thing
that'd make me want to switch to another less cynical manufacturer (if I
didn't have an irrational and unshakable affection for Olympus cameras).

Right, done with ranting for now...

Roger